Sunday, December 14, 2008

Just my luck!

I'm a huge poker fan, especially Texas Hold'em. There's a bar that I occasionally go to, where the owners also are poker players. Every Saturday they have tournaments (we don't play for money, but still.), where anyone who wants to can join. A lot of Saturday nights, especially when I have the following Sunday off, I go there, have a few beers, and play poker. Just for the fun. Yesterday was my "Sober Saturday", part because I have to go to work today and part because I was insanely tired. Somehow, the first table didn't work out for me. I was on the top of my game, and I gambled like a true player. But, it didn't take long before I was out of chips, and had to leave the table. My friend Charlotte was still in the game, but she couldn't hold her breath for too long either.

Round two on the other hand, started out really, really bad. Suddenly I had 9$ (fake money) worth of chips, and decided to go all in, with a 3 and 9 on the hand, and two kings and a three on the table. I was getting tired, and wanted to go home, so I didn't really care. Besides, I didn't have all that much to lose anyway. The next card on the table was a three. Clover, I think. I had hearts. Well… Considering that there already was two kings on the table, chances were good that someone had three kings, and would take the pot, so I could go home. "Any more bets?" the dealer asked, but all she got was "check" from everyone. I didn't have anything to bet anyway, so it didn't matter to me. "Nothing?" she asked one more time, but everyone stayed quiet. A moment of silence before she flipped the last card. "Damn it!" I thought as the last three turns. Unless anyone had two kings on the hand, or something higher than four 3's, I'd probably be sitting by the table a bit longer. And, just my luck. The pot was mine.

So… Apparently my luck had turned. In a bad way, sort of. All in just didn't work out for me. I tried to be able of leaving the table, but unless there's some sort of crisis, we're not allowed to leave the table until we're out. The second, third and fourth time I put All in, I came out with even more than I started out with. It took me six "all in's" to be able to leave the table, as the fifth time resulted in a split pot.

I've never been so happy to lose a poker game. Sometimes, it's better to lose. Kind of surrender, raise the white flag. I was so tired, and I had a long drive home, so I figured that it was better to just finish and leave. But I had a good time, though. It was fun while it lasted. Now I know my tactics next time. "All in" on crappy cards, and hold back when you have a good hand.

"Success in life does not come from holding a good hand, but in playing a poor hand well." Denis Waitley

That's poker philosophy!

XOXO

No comments: